Skip to main content

My Thoughts on the Growth Mindset

(Brain Word Cloud by JohnHain)

I have not heard of Carol Dweck or of the Growth Mindset specifically before. I have had some high school teachers teach at least related to this style though. While they still had tests and assessments, One of them allowed you to retake any test as long as you submitted in writing what you felt like you did wrong and what you did to address it. My other teacher outright told us that he didn't care about our grades and we could put in as much effort as we wanted. Both of these teachers were well liked and while their classes were hard I don't remember anyone having problems with these policies. 

I think I have recently started leaning more into the growth mindset without realizing it. With learning how to draw, many of the resources and tutorials being put out, focus on taking small steps and emphasizing how no one had it easy at first. That it's normal to struggle with it, and to not give up just because it's hard initially. 

At OU my hardest learning challenge has been managing my time and being organized enough to get through material efficiently. I'm not sure if a more concentrated effort to change my mindset would help, but I think it'd be a good idea to try. Especially in my last few upper-division classes I get afraid of being overwhelmed, so that may indicate that my mindset is still fixed. 

Another obstacle may be that the current system still overwhelmingly encourages people to go into fields where they feel comfortable and unchallenged. I know that at least for many STEM fields grades do have a large bearing on your professional options after graduation, For example, the average medical school student had an average of around a 3.7 GPA. This definitely creates a fear of failure that make it hard to branch out and try things you aren't good at.

This goes along with what Alfie Kohn said in "The "Mindset" Mindset." Much of people's behavior and outcomes are extremely related to people's social circumstances, and in some circumstances a person's shift in mindset won't be enough to overcome systemic barriers to success. I think the answer lies somewhere in the middle where addressing issues in the education system itself and encouraging students to look past grades could both be used.

Overall, I think the growth mindset is probably most useful in learning before undergraduate, or in situations where there isn't a requirement for high performance extremely quickly.

Comments

  1. A very cool post!! I think this is why research into education styles is also very important, because there's more to learning than meets the eye.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

  ( source : Welcome Lettering Typography) This is the comment wall for my storybook !

Introduction to Zeeshawn Beg

Hi! I'm Zeeshawn, a Microbiology major, med school hopeful, and computer enthusiast. I was born in Pakistan and my family immigrated to Oklahoma when I was just a couple months old. I still love to watch cricket. I can't see it live though because of the time zones it's always early in the morning.  ("Wahab Stuns Hosts! | England vs Pakistan Match Highlights | ICC Cricket World Cup 2019" at youtube ) One of my favorite classes has been Chinese Literature. I had never really learned much about Chinese history, so this class really opened my eyes and helped me understand recent history. The book/story that affected me the most in that class was the Iron Child by Mo Yan.  I've also been trying to learn to draw. The idea of being able to create something has really motivated me and especially being able to see great art anytime on the internet has helped fuel this. I've been using drawabox  to learn the fundamentals and I feel like I've made some progress.

Week 7 Story: The Devil's Lair

( Jomblang Cave by Thomas Fuhrmann)   The Devil's Lair The Monkey King Sun Wu Kong stood before the mighty entrance of the Devil-King's lair. He had taken Sun Wu Kong's kin and had to be put in his place. This could not be forgiven. As the Monkey King entered the underground chamber, the servants of the Devil-King trembled. Sun Wu Kong's terrible rage and battle prowess was well known. They didn't know if even their own King could defeat him.  "Hey!" bellowed the stone ape, "Give me back my kids!!" evidently he wanted to try negotiation first. Stammering, the Devil-King responded, "Wait don't you want to fight me?" He had not expected the legendary Sun Wu Kong to reason before using his brawn. "Of course, but I'm trying to control myself so they don't have to see your sorry state after I'm done with you." The Devil-King didn't even know how to react. He just stared in disbelief. "How could he be so ca