Skip to main content

Feedback Strategies

The first article I read was "Try Feedforward instead of Feedback" by Marshall Goldsmith:

I thought the focus on future changes was an interesting idea. Instead of focusing on what happened in the past, the article advocates for ideas how to do things in the future. I feel like this advice could be helpful, but it seems it could be too general. Especially with it saying the feedforward could come from anyone that, even people who don't know you. I think this may lead to people getting really generalized advice when they may just need help in a very specific way. I do agree though that it's easy for people to take feedback personally, and by focusing on future tasks, it alleviates some of that feeling. I think point 7 in the link is the biggest part. It's just uncomfortable to criticize someone's performance and it feels bad to receive it. 


The second article was 'Five Reasons to Stop Saying "Good Job"' by Alfie Kohn:

I never really though about positive reinforcement being a bad thing. I didn't think about how kids could become dependent on it, but it makes sense. If the kids are doing things because the parents are praising them for it and not because they intrinsically  enjoy it, they won't continue it long term. This could lead them to not finding fulfilling hobbies and activities they want to continue into adulthood. It makes sense to talk to kids about how what they're doing is good on deeper level than just it being something you want them to do. I can see this in things like art because as kids everyone gets complemented on it, but as you get older you need to actually be good to get positive feedback, and that requires a lot of effort, so the kids may no longer want to develop their art.

(Abstract Art Britto by GalleryBritto)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

  ( source : Welcome Lettering Typography) This is the comment wall for my storybook !

Introduction to Zeeshawn Beg

Hi! I'm Zeeshawn, a Microbiology major, med school hopeful, and computer enthusiast. I was born in Pakistan and my family immigrated to Oklahoma when I was just a couple months old. I still love to watch cricket. I can't see it live though because of the time zones it's always early in the morning.  ("Wahab Stuns Hosts! | England vs Pakistan Match Highlights | ICC Cricket World Cup 2019" at youtube ) One of my favorite classes has been Chinese Literature. I had never really learned much about Chinese history, so this class really opened my eyes and helped me understand recent history. The book/story that affected me the most in that class was the Iron Child by Mo Yan.  I've also been trying to learn to draw. The idea of being able to create something has really motivated me and especially being able to see great art anytime on the internet has helped fuel this. I've been using drawabox  to learn the fundamentals and I feel like I've made some progress.

Week 7 Story: The Devil's Lair

( Jomblang Cave by Thomas Fuhrmann)   The Devil's Lair The Monkey King Sun Wu Kong stood before the mighty entrance of the Devil-King's lair. He had taken Sun Wu Kong's kin and had to be put in his place. This could not be forgiven. As the Monkey King entered the underground chamber, the servants of the Devil-King trembled. Sun Wu Kong's terrible rage and battle prowess was well known. They didn't know if even their own King could defeat him.  "Hey!" bellowed the stone ape, "Give me back my kids!!" evidently he wanted to try negotiation first. Stammering, the Devil-King responded, "Wait don't you want to fight me?" He had not expected the legendary Sun Wu Kong to reason before using his brawn. "Of course, but I'm trying to control myself so they don't have to see your sorry state after I'm done with you." The Devil-King didn't even know how to react. He just stared in disbelief. "How could he be so ca