Skip to main content

Storybook Plan

 The main idea for my storybook project will be mythological Serpents and Sea Monsters. These creatures are usually portrayed as villains or adversaries for other more prominent mythological characters to battle and overcome. I think for my project I want to flip the script a little bit and let these beaten baddies have a little time in the limelight. 

Some of the stories I've decided to remix and explore are things such as Apep from the Egyptian mythos. Apep is a deity of chaos that fights with Ra every night. Ra, of course, wins these nightly battles and reemerges everyday victorious and brings the sun up. The second I chose is one of Heracles's 12 labors, the Drakon Hesperios. There must have been something to make it earn a spot in the 12 labors, so I would like to explore more of ferocity and rumors that made it so legendary that it required a demigod to defeat. Lastly, I want to take a bunch of monsters and kind of combine stories for them a little bit. I need some more time to fully flesh out this part of the idea, but I think it should be fun to take some compelling ideas from different sea monsters and put them together to see what the result is.

The story telling styles I want to use would be keeping the stories sounding about the same, so that someone who may know the stories from before would think they know what's going to happen. I want to then introduce the twist of a victorious serpent. I think this would be a good way to explore why they are supposed to be feared and how their power isn't something to be messed with. 

Bibliography:

Wikipedia: Apep

Theoi: Drakon Hesperios

Wikipedia: Sea Serpents

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

  ( source : Welcome Lettering Typography) This is the comment wall for my storybook !

Introduction to Zeeshawn Beg

Hi! I'm Zeeshawn, a Microbiology major, med school hopeful, and computer enthusiast. I was born in Pakistan and my family immigrated to Oklahoma when I was just a couple months old. I still love to watch cricket. I can't see it live though because of the time zones it's always early in the morning.  ("Wahab Stuns Hosts! | England vs Pakistan Match Highlights | ICC Cricket World Cup 2019" at youtube ) One of my favorite classes has been Chinese Literature. I had never really learned much about Chinese history, so this class really opened my eyes and helped me understand recent history. The book/story that affected me the most in that class was the Iron Child by Mo Yan.  I've also been trying to learn to draw. The idea of being able to create something has really motivated me and especially being able to see great art anytime on the internet has helped fuel this. I've been using drawabox  to learn the fundamentals and I feel like I've made some progress.

Week 7 Story: The Devil's Lair

( Jomblang Cave by Thomas Fuhrmann)   The Devil's Lair The Monkey King Sun Wu Kong stood before the mighty entrance of the Devil-King's lair. He had taken Sun Wu Kong's kin and had to be put in his place. This could not be forgiven. As the Monkey King entered the underground chamber, the servants of the Devil-King trembled. Sun Wu Kong's terrible rage and battle prowess was well known. They didn't know if even their own King could defeat him.  "Hey!" bellowed the stone ape, "Give me back my kids!!" evidently he wanted to try negotiation first. Stammering, the Devil-King responded, "Wait don't you want to fight me?" He had not expected the legendary Sun Wu Kong to reason before using his brawn. "Of course, but I'm trying to control myself so they don't have to see your sorry state after I'm done with you." The Devil-King didn't even know how to react. He just stared in disbelief. "How could he be so ca