Skip to main content

Extra Credit Reading Notes: Creation and Destruction Crash Course

 


For this week I took notes on the Creation and Destruction list of videos by Crash Course. The specific collection I watched was aggregated by Laura Gibbs and can be found here


There were two ideas discussed in this video. The first was the Biblical idea that Man raised first and that all the animals were created as helpers to mankind. This sets up a power dynamic where man is treated as the default most important/powerful group. This makes the world designed for humans, not necessarily for animals. 

The second idea discussed is Native American ones. In these, humans are not usually put above the animals as decidedly as in the Biblical one. Instead, they are shown to be working together with animals. They mentioned how the animals are given agency and intellect in the stories. They have a more active role in the creation of the world and make animals necessary to nature. 

Second video: The Apocalypse
Apocalypses are about how all human society will come to an end. This is a theme of divine punishment, like flood stories, but these are in the past when apocalypses are in the future. A focus on a judgment. In the Hebrew Bible, there are usually 2 events: General destruction, and punishment. 

Zoroastrianism: Fate is tied to which you follow. As all will die and those that are good are resurrected.

Christian: There will be plagues, resurrections, and the antichrist. There are 7 plagues. One to mark those who follow the beast. 2 to turn all teh water to blood. 1 to enlarge the sun. 1 to fill the kingdom to darkness. 1 to dry the Euphrates. 1 into the air to signal the fall of the world. The beast is often mentioned. 

Islam: People become less religious and obsessed with the world. Lots of general destruction happening. The anti christ comes on a donkey. 40 years of the beast. 40 years of Jesus's ruling. Gog and Magog will decimate the world. Everyone's sing and good deed will be weighed. 

The common thread in these is that they mostly all are concerned with events that can not be handled by humans. 

Third video: Ragnarok:

The Norse gods of the sky want to bring Loki to justice. Thor catches Loki and they want to punish him. They have his son eaten and use his intestine to tie him down and is dripped on by snake venom. The story is a prediction that will happen. First 3 long winters. This will crumble civilization. The world is plunged into darkness and earthquakes. This causes the Earth to shift and Loki is set free. Asgard is readied for battle with Loki and an army of giants. After great battles, the whole world is on fire and is reduced to ashes. Eventually, absolutely everyone will die gods and people. A new pantheon is formed from some who died and came back. The end of the world is also the beginning.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

  ( source : Welcome Lettering Typography) This is the comment wall for my storybook !

Introduction to Zeeshawn Beg

Hi! I'm Zeeshawn, a Microbiology major, med school hopeful, and computer enthusiast. I was born in Pakistan and my family immigrated to Oklahoma when I was just a couple months old. I still love to watch cricket. I can't see it live though because of the time zones it's always early in the morning.  ("Wahab Stuns Hosts! | England vs Pakistan Match Highlights | ICC Cricket World Cup 2019" at youtube ) One of my favorite classes has been Chinese Literature. I had never really learned much about Chinese history, so this class really opened my eyes and helped me understand recent history. The book/story that affected me the most in that class was the Iron Child by Mo Yan.  I've also been trying to learn to draw. The idea of being able to create something has really motivated me and especially being able to see great art anytime on the internet has helped fuel this. I've been using drawabox  to learn the fundamentals and I feel like I've made some progress.

Week 6 Story: Hidden Voyage

( Orient Sweets by  Shuhrenataxmedov )   After my many tragic ventures out at sea, from whale islands to Rocs dropping mighty boulders on our ships, I needed a change of pace. With my wealth having ballooned and my family secured, I looked to other parts of my life to fulfill myself. I have taken a liking to the sweets that they sell in the markets. Though my wife extremely disapproves of this new affliction because I have grown a bit inactive and plump since deciding to no longer go on my voyages. She absolutely forbade me from going down to the market and partaking in my indulgences. I knew that if I were to send a servant to fetch them for me, they would invariably inform her of my misdeeds, so I persevered to venture out on my own and in secret.  I convinced my wife that I would be in the study and not to disturb me as I attended to my work. I knew that this would not work for long and I needed to be quick. As I walked to my office, I thought of various ways to escape onto the str