Skip to main content

Reading Notes: King Arthur: Part A

(Sword in the Stone by Sheila1988
 

The Drawing of the Sword by Andrew Lang:

Characters: Merlin, Sir Kay, Sir Ector, Arthur

Merlin: Is a magician (not a wizard?) goes to the Archbishop of Canterbury to discuss how they are going to figure who is king. 

Sir Ector: The father of Sir Kay and the foster father of Arthur

Sir Kay: The foster brother of Arthur and a forgetful person.

Arthur: The foster son of Sir Ector and is secretly the son of the former king Uther Pendragon

Plot: The King Uther Pendragon has died and this has left the knights and lords in disarray. They don't know who the power is going to go towards and there is chaos. Merlin, a magician, comes to the land and meets the Archbishop of Canterbury. They decide that the King will be the one who is able to pull the sword embedded in the rock by the church. The Knights all agree to this and a date is set for everyone to enter and try their hand at pulling the sword. On this day, Sir Ector and Sir Kay along with Arthur are making their way to the castle. When they get there, Sir Kay realizes that he forgot his sword. He asks Arthur to hurry home and retrieve it because it would be embarrassing to be without his sword. Arthur hurries back, but the house is locked and he can't get in. He then remembers that there's a sword in the church. He takes it and comes to the event. His family soon realizes what he has done. They return to the church and try it out. Neither knight was able to pull it but Arthur was. Merlin and the Archbishop also arrived and witnessed it. Afterward, the rest of the knights came and watched him pull it again. He was confirmed as King

Setting: Somewhere in England?

Things I could change: I like this base story. I think if I were to use this for my Thursday story, I think I would want there to have been more of a conflict. Maybe some of the knights think this is some sort of trick and they rebel because there's no way that some kid could be king.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

  ( source : Welcome Lettering Typography) This is the comment wall for my storybook !

Introduction to Zeeshawn Beg

Hi! I'm Zeeshawn, a Microbiology major, med school hopeful, and computer enthusiast. I was born in Pakistan and my family immigrated to Oklahoma when I was just a couple months old. I still love to watch cricket. I can't see it live though because of the time zones it's always early in the morning.  ("Wahab Stuns Hosts! | England vs Pakistan Match Highlights | ICC Cricket World Cup 2019" at youtube ) One of my favorite classes has been Chinese Literature. I had never really learned much about Chinese history, so this class really opened my eyes and helped me understand recent history. The book/story that affected me the most in that class was the Iron Child by Mo Yan.  I've also been trying to learn to draw. The idea of being able to create something has really motivated me and especially being able to see great art anytime on the internet has helped fuel this. I've been using drawabox  to learn the fundamentals and I feel like I've made some progress.

Week 7 Story: The Devil's Lair

( Jomblang Cave by Thomas Fuhrmann)   The Devil's Lair The Monkey King Sun Wu Kong stood before the mighty entrance of the Devil-King's lair. He had taken Sun Wu Kong's kin and had to be put in his place. This could not be forgiven. As the Monkey King entered the underground chamber, the servants of the Devil-King trembled. Sun Wu Kong's terrible rage and battle prowess was well known. They didn't know if even their own King could defeat him.  "Hey!" bellowed the stone ape, "Give me back my kids!!" evidently he wanted to try negotiation first. Stammering, the Devil-King responded, "Wait don't you want to fight me?" He had not expected the legendary Sun Wu Kong to reason before using his brawn. "Of course, but I'm trying to control myself so they don't have to see your sorry state after I'm done with you." The Devil-King didn't even know how to react. He just stared in disbelief. "How could he be so ca