Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Southwestern and California Legends: Part A

(Coyote by V.J. Anderson)


The Fable of The Animals by Katharine Berry Judson: 

Characters: Kareya, Man, Coyote.

Kareya: The creator God of the Karok people. Creates the other creatures and tells them what to do. 

Man: Has to give the animals bows and arrows representing how much strength they will have in the world. Is given a lot of room for interpretation for how he allocates power.

Coyote: Wants to be very powerful. Is also quite clever and smart. Cunning even.


Plot: Many years ago, Kareya is sitting not the Great Stool, and is creating the world. After creating the many creatures, there is no order and everyone is equally powerful. No one knew who would be eaten by who and who would be eaten by Man. Kareya then gave Man a task. He would create Bows and arrows of different sizes to determine how powerful they are and demonstrate who would be more powerful than who. Man worked many nights to create these bows for all the animals. Coyote was extremely excited to receive his bow. He wanted to be the first in line to get the biggest and more powerful bow. He stayed up all night. Eventually, he was getting tired so he paced around the sleeping animals. He then had to start running and jumping. This woke some of the animals. Eventually, he had to pin his eyes open with two wooden stakes. This worked for a while, but eventually, he fell asleep. In the morning, all the animals came to the Man and received their bows. He gave all of them bows according to their power. The last bow he gave to Frog, but he had one more left. Everyone then looked at the campsite and saw that Coyote was asleep. All the animals laughed and danced on Coyote. This woke him and he saw that he would be given the weakest and smallest bow. Man took pity on him though, he gave Coyote ten times as much cunning as they had before. 

Setting: On a newly made earth. I think there isn't much to add with the setting since the story focuses on how the animals are given power. 

What I Could Change: I think a cool way to modernize this would be something about a kid missing a deadline or some sort of even that they were excited for. Could be a lesson on making a better plan to have better decisions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

  ( source : Welcome Lettering Typography) This is the comment wall for my storybook !

Introduction to Zeeshawn Beg

Hi! I'm Zeeshawn, a Microbiology major, med school hopeful, and computer enthusiast. I was born in Pakistan and my family immigrated to Oklahoma when I was just a couple months old. I still love to watch cricket. I can't see it live though because of the time zones it's always early in the morning.  ("Wahab Stuns Hosts! | England vs Pakistan Match Highlights | ICC Cricket World Cup 2019" at youtube ) One of my favorite classes has been Chinese Literature. I had never really learned much about Chinese history, so this class really opened my eyes and helped me understand recent history. The book/story that affected me the most in that class was the Iron Child by Mo Yan.  I've also been trying to learn to draw. The idea of being able to create something has really motivated me and especially being able to see great art anytime on the internet has helped fuel this. I've been using drawabox  to learn the fundamentals and I feel like I've made some progress.

Week 7 Story: The Devil's Lair

( Jomblang Cave by Thomas Fuhrmann)   The Devil's Lair The Monkey King Sun Wu Kong stood before the mighty entrance of the Devil-King's lair. He had taken Sun Wu Kong's kin and had to be put in his place. This could not be forgiven. As the Monkey King entered the underground chamber, the servants of the Devil-King trembled. Sun Wu Kong's terrible rage and battle prowess was well known. They didn't know if even their own King could defeat him.  "Hey!" bellowed the stone ape, "Give me back my kids!!" evidently he wanted to try negotiation first. Stammering, the Devil-King responded, "Wait don't you want to fight me?" He had not expected the legendary Sun Wu Kong to reason before using his brawn. "Of course, but I'm trying to control myself so they don't have to see your sorry state after I'm done with you." The Devil-King didn't even know how to react. He just stared in disbelief. "How could he be so ca