Skip to main content

Reading Notes: Europa: Part A

(Tabby cat with blue eyes by Adina Voicu)


The Earl of Cattenborough by Joseph Jacobs:

Characters: John, Miss Puss, King, Princess

John: The youngest of three sons. Inherits only a cat(that can talk!!)

Miss Puss: is magic and can talk. Why is he not famous and rich somewhere? Why is he 

King: is very impressed by the talking cat. (understandably) should really vet suitors for his daughter more. Should also not get jealous that said cat will be speaking for his master.

Plot: A miller and his wife pass away and leave a mill, a donkey, and a cat to their three sons. They each take one thing. The youngest got the cat. The cat vowed to help the son survive and succeed. The cat had a pouch with a string and the boy would put cheese in it. They caught random small mammals and birds. The cat would take the extra catchings and bring them to the king's guard. She would then tell them that it was a gift from the Earl of Cattenborough. This intrigued the King and eventually, he wanted to meet the Earl himself. The cat then made a plan to get clothes from the king because the boy was poor. He told the king that they'd been robbed, so the king sent him some clothes. They came to the palace and only the cat spoke and the King thought this meant that he was extremely rich. He then wanted to visit the boy's palace. On the way there, the cat tells some peasants to say they are the Earl's workers. The cat also goes and eats a goblin in a castle to make room for the earl. The King is super impressed and gets him married to his daughter.

Setting: Some kingdom. I  don't think the physical setting matters as much as the temporal setting. Like saying that this happens in medieval times is more important. A story like this probably isn't working in a steampunk setting.

Things I would change: I would like to see how the cat would react if the boy had messed up his role somehow. Maybe the princess was a little too pretty and he blurted something out or maybe he messed something up in the palace.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

  ( source : Welcome Lettering Typography) This is the comment wall for my storybook !

Introduction to Zeeshawn Beg

Hi! I'm Zeeshawn, a Microbiology major, med school hopeful, and computer enthusiast. I was born in Pakistan and my family immigrated to Oklahoma when I was just a couple months old. I still love to watch cricket. I can't see it live though because of the time zones it's always early in the morning.  ("Wahab Stuns Hosts! | England vs Pakistan Match Highlights | ICC Cricket World Cup 2019" at youtube ) One of my favorite classes has been Chinese Literature. I had never really learned much about Chinese history, so this class really opened my eyes and helped me understand recent history. The book/story that affected me the most in that class was the Iron Child by Mo Yan.  I've also been trying to learn to draw. The idea of being able to create something has really motivated me and especially being able to see great art anytime on the internet has helped fuel this. I've been using drawabox  to learn the fundamentals and I feel like I've made some progress.

Week 6 Story: Hidden Voyage

( Orient Sweets by  Shuhrenataxmedov )   After my many tragic ventures out at sea, from whale islands to Rocs dropping mighty boulders on our ships, I needed a change of pace. With my wealth having ballooned and my family secured, I looked to other parts of my life to fulfill myself. I have taken a liking to the sweets that they sell in the markets. Though my wife extremely disapproves of this new affliction because I have grown a bit inactive and plump since deciding to no longer go on my voyages. She absolutely forbade me from going down to the market and partaking in my indulgences. I knew that if I were to send a servant to fetch them for me, they would invariably inform her of my misdeeds, so I persevered to venture out on my own and in secret.  I convinced my wife that I would be in the study and not to disturb me as I attended to my work. I knew that this would not work for long and I needed to be quick. As I walked to my office, I thought of various ways to escape onto the str